Panama City leads implementation of climate resilience tools: successful validation of "Climate Resilience Addendum" scorecard
In a pioneering stride toward constructing a city more resilient and adaptable to climate challenges, Panama City has become one of the global frontrunners in implementing the "Integrated Analysis Tool: Climate Risk and Disaster Risk," in conjunction with the "Climate Resilience Addendum" Scorecard.
The United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) and the Development Bank of Latin America and the Caribbean (CAF) have collaborated to propel efforts in disaster risk reduction, aligning with the Sendai Framework (2015-2030) and other global accords such as the Paris Agreement and the New Urban Agenda. This innovative tool has been borne out of these endeavors, seamlessly integrated into the Developing Resilient Cities 2030 (MCR2030) initiative, which aspires to foster inclusive, secure, resilient, and sustainable local governance by 2030.
From this collaborative endeavor emerged the "Integrated Analysis Tool: Climate Risk and Disaster Risk," as well as the "Climate Resilience Addendum" Scorecard. These elements constitute a proactive strategy aimed at equipping municipal authorities with a robust methodology to tackle the challenges posed by climate change and disaster risk.
In alignment with its commitment to the Developing Resilient Cities 2030 (MCR2030) initiative, Panama City has played an integral role in validating the utility, benefits, and accessibility of these tools for local officials and technicians within the region.
In the course of this process, Panama City has instituted and validated its outcomes through an inclusive workshop, attended by officials from the departments of Environmental Management, Urban Planning, Budget Planning, Resilience, and Civil Protection.
The workshop was structured around the following guidelines:
- Effective Validation: Confirming the efficacy and pertinence of the results derived from implementing the "Climate Resilience Addendum Scorecard for Panama City."
- Comprehensive Awareness: Instilling a critical comprehension of the imperative to seamlessly integrate disaster risk reduction and urban resilience across all pertinent domains.
- Local Commitment: Nurturing an active and enduring commitment among local officials towards enhancing Panama City's resilience.
- Widespread Awareness: Facilitating an in-depth understanding of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030 among key stakeholders in Panama City.
- Resilient Drive: Effectively and tangibly promoting the MCR2030 initiative within the urban fabric of Panama City.
This accomplishment signifies a momentous stride on Panama City's journey towards climate resilience and disaster risk reduction. By operationalizing these cutting-edge tools, the city underscores its dedication to a safer and more sustainable future, simultaneously contributing to the global comprehension of climate resilience within urban environments.