Training for Journalists: Reporting on Disaster Risk Reduction Issues
- UNDRR Office for Northeast Asia & Global Education and Training Institute (ONEA & GETI)
- Trilateral Cooperation Secretariat (TCS)
Effective communication on disaster risk is key to strengthening the resilience of communities, and the media have a key role to play in supporting public awareness raising and promoting solutions for DRR through constructive and evidence-based reporting.
The Trilateral Cooperation Secretariat (TCS) is organizing the 7th Trilateral Journalist Exchange Program (TJEP 2022) on 1-5 August 2022 under the theme of “Solutions Journalism for a Sustainable Future-Building”. The 7th TJEP, bringing together journalists from China, Japan and South Korea, will introduce the “Solutions Journalism” approach and encourage the participants to explore practical ways from traditional as well as modern perspectives to address acute issues affecting sustainable future-building by the civil societies in the three countries.
In partnership with the Solutions Journalism Network and the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction, this year’s program will center upon two typical topics of “Disaster Risk Management” and “Descending Mutual Perception” where solutions journalism is most wanted. The participants are expected to acquire the most recent as well as practical skills and perspectives to be immediately applicable in practice.
As part of the overall 7th TJEP programme, a one-day training workshop on “Reporting on Disaster Risk Reduction Issues” will introduce the participants to key issues and concepts around disaster risk reduction and resilience, and explore effective ways to report on these challenges which affect sustainable development and the future well-being of societies.
This training serves as an introductory training for journalists aiming to:
- Increase the understanding of key DRR concepts, issues and global policy frameworks
- Raise awareness on the importance of effective communication around DRR and the role of the media
- Explore practical ways to report on DRR issues constructively, contributing to promoting public awareness, knowledge and solutions
By the end of the training workshop, participants would have:
- Increased understanding of key concepts around disaster risk reduction and resilience and the links between DRR, climate change, poverty, environment degradation and sustainable development;
- Increased understanding of the global policy frameworks for disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation and sustainable development and their interconnectedness;
- Increased awareness of the role of the media in effective, positive and solutions-oriented communication around disaster risk reduction and resilience;
- Increased understanding of key components and objectives of DRR stories and themes, drawing from real-life case studies and examples.
Event Date, Time, Venue
- Date: 03 August 2022
- Time: 10:00 – 16:00
- Venue: UNDRR GETI, Incheon, Republic of Korea
Is this page useful?Yes No Report an issue on this page
Thank you. If you have 2 minutes, we would benefit from additional feedback (link opens in a new window).