Technical Workshop on Making Cities Resilient (MCR 2030) and Launch of MCR 2030 in Mongolia
Event Date, Time & Venue
Date: 31 October - 01 November 2022
Time: 14:00-18:00 hrs.
Venue: Hybrid - Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia and Zoom.
- National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Mongolia
- UNDRR Office for Northeast Asia (ONEA) and Global Education and Training Institute (GETI)
- Making Cities Resilient 2030 (MCR2030)
In Mongolia, the national government, through its National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), increased local government capacity for risk assessment in 2020 and supported the development of local DRR strategies as part of the Local Protection Plans to fulfill Sendai Framework global target (e) by 2020. NEMA and UNDRR ONEA supported the Capital City and the 21 provinces in 5 regions of Mongolia in this process over a period of three years, including by supporting the application of the Disaster Resilience Scorecard for Cities. As result, all 22 major Mongolian cities developed their local disaster risk reduction strategies, and are now in the process of implementing these plans. Following the launch of the MCR 2030 initiative in 2021, this workshop will introduce the MCR 2030 initiative in Mongolia to support cities in their resilience journey.
This workshop will serve as an official launch of the MCR2030 in Mongolia, and as an orientation for key national and local government stakeholders. Its objectives are to:
- Enhance understanding on urban resilience, MCR 2030 and the Resilience Roadmap;
- Introduce the functionalities of the MCR2030 Dashboard and guide local governments through the sign-up process;
- Discuss local level commitments and ways forward towards the implementation of local DRR plans;
- Officially launch the MCR 2030 initiative in Mongolia
Participants will be equipped with knowledge on urban resilience and MCR 2030, and understand how to use its functionalities to support resilience building in municipalities in Mongolia. The workshop will allow municipalities to join the MCR2030, and will contribute to identifying ways forward for NEMA and local governments to accelerate the implementation of local DRR plans.