MCR2030: Strengthening national-local collaboration towards making cities resilient in Asia-Pacific
Date & Time
Date: 8 September 2021 (Wed)
Time: 11:00 New Delhi | 12:30 Bangkok/Jakarta | 13:30 Manila/Beijing | 14:30 Incheon
Duration: 90 minutes
Making Cities Resilient 2030 (MCR2030) is a unique cross-stakeholder initiative offering a 3-stage resilience roadmap to guide cities towards improving long-term resilience and to become inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable by 2030. The MCR2030 uses the online dashboard to connect cities with a wide breadth of partners providing a suite of tools and support for cities, mapped along the 3-stage resilience roadmap, to make it easier for cities to access, understand immediate next steps and take actions to progress.
The crises such as the COVID-19 pandemic and climate change remind us that managing disaster risk requires system thinking and cross-sectoral and cross-stakeholder collaboration. While local governments play an instrumental role to ensure their cities are becoming safe and resilient, they need guidance and support from all stakeholders especially national level entities.
The MCR2030 mechanism offers an opportunity for national level entities, including national government offices and national associations of municipalities, to enhance their collaborations with cities, oversee national progress and highlight good practices through peer-to-peer learning.
This event will highlight the role national associations of municipalities can play in accelerating local actions to drive long-term resilience. It will also showcase the experiences and insights of cities that have gone through this resilience journey.
The event aims to promote collaboration between cities and national associations of municipalities under the MCR2030 initiative.
Output and Outcome
- Insights and experience of cities joining MCR2030 highlighted
- Roles of national association of municipality in supporting and accelerating local resilience emphasized
- Commitment of at least 1 national association of municipalities in engaging cities and providing them with support to enhance city resilience through MCR2030 announced
The session will be a semi-networking and brainstorming session in the form of panel presentation and discussion with a session moderator.
The side event will be organised through an online platform (Zoom).
Target participants include representatives from local governments, national governments, national associations of municipal, city networks, and other stakeholders including academia, CSOs, media and community groups, expecting at least 100 participants from at least 15 countries/territories in Asia- Pacific.
- UCLG ASPAC
- UNDRR ROAP
- UNDRR GETI
Tentative Agenda & Speakers
- Welcome and introduction by the Moderator
- Mr. Sanjaya Bhatia, Head of Global Education and Training Institute (GETI), UNDRR
- Keynote speech
- Ms. Bernadia Irawati Tjandradewi, Secretary-General of UCLG ASPAC
- Presentation “Making Cities Resilient 2030 (MCR2030): together in city resilience building”
- Ms. Mary Jane Alvarez, Regional Program Manager, ICLEI Southeast Asia, Member of the MCR2030 Regional Coordinating Committee for Asia-Pacific
- Presentation “Discovering the MCR2030 online dashboard”
- Ms. Sunisa Soodrak, Associate Programme Management Officer, UNDRR
- Panel discussion “Roles of national association of municipality in accelerating local resilience and insights from MCR2030 cities”
- Mr. Hendri Sapta, Mayor of Padang City, Indonesia
- Mr. Evelio Leonardia, Mayor of Bocolod and President of League of Cities of the Philippines (LCP)
- Mr. Alwis Rustam, Executive Director of National Association of Municipality in Indonesia (APEKSI)
- Mr. Krishna Chandra Neupane, Executive Secretary General of Association of District Development Committees of Nepal (ADDCN)
- Announcement of the commitment of the national associations of municipalities in MCR2030 and promote the in-country roll-out event
For more information, please contact:
United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR)
- Helmi Abidin, email@example.com
All participants should be registered to the congress at http://www.uclgaspac-connect.org/index.php/congress/page/301.
Select under I will attend: Wednesday, 8 September 2021