[European Development Days' Project Lab] Towards Resilient Cities and Territories - Taking local action to scale
for registration and more information:
Date & Time
Date: 15 June 2021 (Tuesday)
Time: 8:00 Rio de Janeiro | 13:00 Barcelona/Brussels | 14:00 Nairobi | 20:00 Incheon
Duration: 45 minutes
Language: English, with simultaneous interpretation into French
The project lab is part of the European Development Days' thematic sessions on Sustainable Urbanisation. The session will present the Resilience Learning Modules, developed jointly by UCLG, UN-Habitat and UNDRR, as a key tool for MCR2030 cities and stakeholders. Panelists will discuss the potential of the modules as a training of trainers tool building on cities' experiences, knowledge and resources. It will also highlight the role of local government associations to create enabling environments for resilience-based inclusive and sustainable development.
Resilience ensures development progress is not lost at the first natural or manmade disaster, and limits the impact of shocks and stresses on people, infrastructure and processes. Despite numerous tools being available, many cities are still left behind and unable to access funding to conduct resilience analysis and act. To tackle this issue, UCLG, UN-Habitat, and UNDRR have joined forces to scale-up local resilience. Building on peer-learnings, existing publications, the SDG localization process, and UN-Habitat’s resilience profiling approach, a new Resilience Learning Module has been rolled out following a virtual training of trainers’ format aiming to reach forgotten cities (intermediate, informal, island) by providing a flexible and adaptable resilience learning resource.
- Sanjaya BHATIA - Head of UNDRR Office for Northeast Asia (ONEA) and Global Education and Training Institute (GETI)
- Axel SCHMIDT GRAEL - Mayor of Niteroi, Brazil
- Karen PORRAS ARGUEDAS - Executive Director, UNGL, Costa Rica
- Esteban Leon - Head of City Resilience Global Programme, UN-HABITAT
- (Moderator) Sara HOEFLICH - Head of Learning, UCLG
- United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG)
- United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT)
- United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR)
- Making Cities Resilient 2030 (MCR2030)
Registration to the EDD2021 Forum is necessary to attend.
Is this page useful?Yes No Report an issue on this page
Thank you. If you have 2 minutes, we would benefit from additional feedback (link opens in a new window).